Moab UT

Moab UT

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Vegan breakfast

When I got married my mother in law gave me a binder full of her favorite recipes.  Two of my favorite recipes are the Red River Cereal and Granola.  They both are super easy to make and so delicious!

Red River Cereal From Malibu, Canada

1/2 cup cracked wheat
1/2 cup cracked rye
1/4 cup flax seed

Add the above to 3 cups boiling water, lightly salted if you wish (we never do this), stirring as you add (I use a whisk to keep it from lumping).  Simmer for 10 minutes.  Can add more water if gets too thick; if too thin just simmer a bit longer.  Top with date sugar, honey, syrup, molasses, etc.  Serves 4

**Since we buy our grains in bulk and grind it as needed, we make this in bulk and keep it in the freezer.  My kids love this recipe-especially in the winter.  They like to add goats milk along with honey.  I think it's just fine with honey alone.  

Scrumptious Granola

3 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cup shredded coconut (I highly recommend using good quality coconut.  Go to the health food store and buy organic unsweetened large flake coconut.  It makes a huge difference.  Plus coconut is not expensive)
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 cup sunflower seeds
1/4 cup sesame seeds
1/2 cup honey
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup cold water
1 cup slivered raw almonds (or your favorite nut)
1/2 cup raisins or other favorite dried fruit (optional - add after above is baked.  

Stir all ingredients together.  Place in large, heavy, shallow baking pan (I usd cookie sheets) brushed lightly with oil   Place in middle of oven at 250-275 F for about 2 hrs.  Stir every 15 minutes.  Cool and store in air tight container.  Makes 5-8 cups.  

**I typically double this recipe.  We all enjoy this granola recipe.  It's not too sweet.  During lent I top mine with rice milk (not a fan of soy milk) or we eat it straight as a snack.