Moab UT

Moab UT

Friday, September 10, 2010

The world cup-small town style


Katherine watched bits of the world cup this year with papa. While it was airing I would occasionally find the two huddled in front of his computer in a world of their own. She has never been the same since.

So, as you can image, when we allowed the girls to choose their sport this year, Katherine chose soccer.

Maybe I should back up and tell you that I am not a sports fan. I've tried and I just can't get into it-especially football, but that's another post.

Anyhow, today was Katherine's first soccer meet. Two hours of joy for her. They practice for a 50 minutes or so, take a 20 minute break, then scrimmage for 50 minutes.

I should confess at this point that as much as I love my girls I was not looking forward to two hours of soccer today. However, I was pleasantly surprised that the time went by pretty quickly. Plus, as all parents can attest, watching your children do things that really bring them joy is beautiful and fun.

I was also entertained by her enthusiasm on the field. You would have thought that she was playing the world cup. Every time her team would score she would pump her fists in the air and do a couple of jumps. I'm sure the other kids were thinking "Who is the new cheerleader?" But I loved watching her and even thought that I might, might become a soccer fan at the end of all this.