Moab UT

Moab UT

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Tandoori-Style Chickpeas

This recipe is one of our old favorites.  We haven't made it in awhile because we used to make it so much I think we burned out on it.  Nonetheless, I pulled it out of the recipe box last night and made it to our delight.  Well, that is Fr. Justin, myself and Zoe, who eats anything.

I'll say a couple of things about kids and this recipe...My kids used to love this recipe.  Last night, however, the 6 and 4 year olds declared that they no longer liked it. The flavor of this recipe is so delicious that I bet I could play around with the ingredients and they would eat it.  Maybe if I left out the spinach?  Funny thing because they love raw spinach.  

I usually serve this with rice.  Also,  this recipe is a bit spicy.  So, I'd take it easy on the curry and perhaps delete the cayenne if your kids don't like spicy foods.



Tandoori-Style Chickpeas
Recipe by Steven Petusevsky

2 tsp. canola oil or olive oil
1 cup chopped onion
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups diced uncooked potatoes
1 tsp. peeled, grated fresh gingerroot
1 Tbs. curry powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
16 oz. can diced tomatoes
16 oz. can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
3/4 water or tomato juice, I've always just used water.
1/2 of 10 oz. box frozen spinach, thawed
2 cups chopped cauliflower
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper

In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.  Add onion, garlic, potatoes and ginger and cook, stirring often, until fragrant, about 2 minutes.  Add curry powder and cumin and cook 1 minute, stirring.  Add tomatoes and chickpeas; bring to a boil, stirring.  Add water slowly and spinach.  Place cauliflower on top of stew.  Cover and simmer until cauliflower is tender.  10 minutes.  Season with salt and cayenne.

Serves 6