Moab UT

Moab UT

Monday, November 30, 2009

Blanco State Park



























































































As promised, here are some pics of our time down in the Hill Country last week.  Blanco is about ten miles from the monastery and is a lovely little spot to camp.  They also have covered shelters which are screened in.  

The Blanco River runs through the park and it also has a couple of great playground areas.  There are several great climbing trees and a hiking trail.  

Our first night in the park we went to sleep with lovely 60 degree weather, but were awakened at about 4:00a.m. by a cold front which brought the temp down to about the mid 40's.  The following night we slept in 30 degree weather.  Hey, we're Texans, we're tough right?  
Well,  I'll just say that if you had told me that the weather was going to drop to 30 at night, I'm not sure I would have been up for the trip.  However, it wasn't bad at all.  Once we all got in our bags and cozied up we were snug as bugs in a rug-and warm too!  

We probably won't make another camping trip until the spring, but I am excited about our new little spot.  Well, I should say early spring-before the rattle snakes wake up.  One of the brothers showed us a rattle snake head and the rattler preserved in a jar.  It was quite large.  I really didn't want to ask if there were lots of snakes in the area, but I couldn't help it.  His answer, "Oh yeah, they're all over the place."  

Did I say I was a tough Texan?  I take it back.  

We were all very motivated to get up at 5:00a.m. the next morning and get to the 6:00a.m. liturgy, where it was nice and warm.