Moab UT

Moab UT

Friday, August 8, 2008

Heading Home




After two lovely weeks we headed home.  We left Washington and headed south to Oregon and California.  The Siskiyou Mountain range is glorious and Mt. Shasta and Shasta Lake are truly breathtaking.  I could spend much time there!

For the next three days we stayed at the Monastery of St. John the Wonderworker in Manton, CA.  Have I used the word beautiful and glorious too much over the last week?  OK, I'll work on new adjectives, but I have to say that it was beautiful and glorious there.  Abbot Jonah and the brothers are very hospitable and try very hard to make everyone feel welcome.   I love monasteries, and I thank God that they are growing in number in the U.S.  They are critical for our spiritual well being-particularly here in the U.S.  

I want my girls to grow up visiting, praying for and financially supporting monasteries.  I must say that I would consider it a blessing if any of my three children were called to the monastic life.  May God's will be done.  

Here is a picture of the outside of the main building of St. John's, the chapel and the girls with the monastery goats.